Cocktail Friday (and Happy 4th).

July 4, 2008

I just love, love a good margarita. Luh-uv. I'm really not into the fruit varieties, however. A good classic lime margarita, really icy cold, served on the rocks with a little salted rim (don't worry, someday I will share that recipe with you all). Oh, and strong. I like my margaritas like I like my other cocktails: strong. I don't want to fill up on a bunch of juice, mixers, etc. I want to feel a little buzzing right there in that first glass. Thus, the no fruity margarita preference. But. This somehow falls out of that category (as does my beloved Pomegranate Margarita). Not too sweet, potent, and clean, straight-forward flavor. Watermelon Margaritas. Perfect for the 4th of July, or any bar-b-que you are going to have this summer. If you are lucky enough to be going to a bar-b-que at someone else's house, I recommend you offer to bring the fixings for this drink. You will be an insta-hit. Just be sure to tell them who gave you this recipe.

Watermelon Margaritas
(from Gourmet Magazine)

a 3 lb. piece watermelon
1 c. white Tequila
1/2 c. fresh lime juice
1/4 c. sugar, or to taste

Remove rind from watermelon and cut enough fruit into 1 inch pieces to measure 5 cups. (Leave in some seeds for a speckled appearance.) Freeze watermelon in a Ziploc bag at least 3 hours and up to 1 week. Blend watermelon with remaining ingredients until thick and smooth, in batches if necessary. Makes about 6 margaritas. Go ahead and slurp away.

3 comments:

  1. personally, a margarita doesn't do it for me unless I'm buzzed from the 1st sip!! :-) Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was pregnant last summer, all I craved were margueritas, the quintessential summer drink, in my opinion. I'm making up for it this summer. Can't wait to see your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds yum-o.... :)
    You need to put a flickr thing on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...