Cocktail Friday: Lychee Martini.

July 11, 2008

A couple of years back, my younger, hipper, free-of-munchkins sister took a trip to NYC. She stayed at The Hudson, had fabulous meals, shopped in Nolita and went to hip, happening bars in the Meatpacking District. I felt very left out, uncool and out-of-the-know (at the time, C-Man was an infant and I was reading Dr. Sears' The Baby Book everyday and going to bed by 9 p.m. -- oh wait, I still do that). Anyway, she and her boyfriend came back and told me about how lychees were the hot ingredient and how they popped up in various incarnations of cocktails they consumed while on this jealousy-invoking trip. Well, I decided I wasn't going to be all about babies and playgroups and oh-my-gosh-what-is-that-noise-my-baby-is-making-i-better-get-on-the-internet-right-now. And I came upon this recipe for a Lychee Martini from Kittichai in Soho. {As an aside, this is supposedly one of Mario Batali's favorite restaurants.} So I made it, loved it, and went to bed at 8:30 p.m. The end.

Lychee Martini
(makes enough for 2 desperately uncool parents)

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup drained canned lychees (15 to 20, from a 16- to 20-oz can)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
6 oz (3/4 cup) vodka (the restaurant uses Skyy)
1 1/2 oz (3 tablespoons) Cointreau or other orange-flavored liqueur

Heat sugar and water in a 1-quart saucepan over high heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, then pour into a heatproof bowl set in a large bowl of ice and cold water. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until syrup is cold, about 3 minutes. Purée lychees with sugar syrup and lemon juice in a blender until smooth, then force through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on solids and then discarding them. Fill cocktail shaker halfway with ice cubes and add lychee purée, vodka, and Cointreau. Shake 15 seconds and strain into Martini glasses. Feel very, very hip.

1 comment:

  1. I totally forgot about this drink! I'm definitely going to need to resurrect this tasty treat...
    --Jojo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...