How to Get Your Kid to Eat Something Healthy.

July 30, 2008

Every mom I know is trying to get their kids to eat healthier foods. Some have more of a challenge than others, and some moms take it to greater lengths. C-Man doesn't eat a ton of different foods, but what he does eat is pretty darn healthful. Problem is, he just won't try very many new things. I decided to recreate a dish that he eats at school for lunch. He (and the other kids) always gobble it right up. I was a little nervous because he can be so unreasonably opposed to eating the very same thing in a different setting. (Like the sample counter at Trader Joe's? He'll try just about anything...buy it and bring it home? He won't have anything to do with it. Argh!!) I am very happy to report that he loved this dish and won't stop eating it! Bonus: Baby J can eat it too.

Here's the recipe:

Lentils and Brown Rice
(from Ms. Katherine at the Waldorf School)

1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 c. red or orange lentils, rinsed
1 can coconut milk
2 c. water
2 1/2 c. brown rice, cooked
Tamari, for serving
Toasted sesame seeds, for serving

In a medium saucepan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes. You just want the onion to soften, not to color. Add the lentils, coconut milk and water and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes or until lentils are soft. Add salt to taste. Stir in cooked brown rice. Serve with a little tamari and toasted sesame seeds on top.


8 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this with my twins. I've been looking for a brown rice bowl meal - and something to do with that can of coconut milk. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. At what point to you add lentis? with the coconut milk i assume? sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K: Oops -- forget that important step! I corrected the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jora! I've been checking your blog daily for about a month now (thanks Krista and Gil!). It's about all the pleasure-reading I have time for these days, and I just love it. Many kudos to you! I couldn't pass up this latest post without making a comment. Matilda finished the Morning Glory Waldorf program with Miss Melissa in June! She absolutely loves the lentils too! I make a batch about every other week. I can't wait for Dash to turn 7 months so I can start giving him some too. It was great running into you guys at the Children's Museum! Thanks again for your cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi -- I'm so glad you read this! ;) We LOVED Miss Melissa ...she sub'd for Miss Katherine a few times. Maybe Dash and Baby J will be in a class together! C-Man starts regular pre-school in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. can this be counted as adult food too? it sounds kind of delicious. but we have not babies so we'll have to eat it ourselves. would that be weird?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got the link from DesignMom to this recipe - the "Turkish" version of this soup we make at home has a potato in it as well. And we sift it through a sieve to it's not chunky (though I believe this makes it less fiber-y - is that a word?). Great recipes, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...