Look! I Baked a Pie!

July 5, 2008

Best part? I made it from peaches from our very own tree. Everyone should get the chance to do that once in their life (and hopefully a lot more). One of the unanticipated benefits of growing your own food (which is new to us over here in the Domestic Reflections home) is you cannot tolerate waste of any kind. You've worked so hard, seen how long it takes for fruits and vegetables to grow, battled pests.....there's no way you're going to let something rot or just-toss-the-beet-greens-out-the-recipe-only-calls-for-the-roots. Yesterday I even made pickled carrots from some of our carrots that were oddly shaped and getting on the flimsy side. (Smitten's recipe was perfect for those carrots, in case you are wondering.) This is all a very good lesson for me as I am sorry to say I have been known to be very wasteful with food. Try it for yourself and see if it changes the way you think about your food.

4 comments:

  1. YUM!! Can you share the recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, Carolyn...this is the recipe I more or less followed: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/georgia-peach-pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love using things from my garden. I'm also big on curbing waste. Composting helps a lot of with food scraps! We even pick up all the sticks that accumulate and use them as kindling in our fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ya, all I could do was make a lime pie. key lime pie? ha.

    looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...