Cocktail Friday.

August 8, 2008

It is time you had a proper mojito. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all (however, that is what I do on this blog!), but I have been making mojitos since before they got all fancy and shiz. I think I went through an Ernest-Hemingway-is-a-god phase and tried to recreate some of his (albeit very small) adventures in my own life. {As an aside, someday I will have to tell you about our friend who took an extended trip through Europe and North Africa patterned after EH's own journeys. This guy can also tell you literally anything about EH's life, like, say, did you know his fourth wife Betty -- I am making this up -- was a decedent of John Adams?}

Back to the drink. This is a cocktail, not for happy hour at the local Red Robin, or a bunch of tipsy, giggly college co-eds out dancing on a Saturday night (not that there's anything wrong with that.....Jojo!), but for a hot, dusty, quiet, late afternoon, preferably in Cuba in the '50s. Think Hills Like White Elephants. Wait. That was Spain, right? And they were drinking beer. Oh well, that's just the feeling it emotes for me.

The drink is really quite simple. But it might not taste like the drink you've had before if you have been to Red Robin lately or are a co-ed.

A Proper Mojito

1 lime, halved crosswise
3 fresh mint sprigs
1 tablespoon sugar
1 oz white rum
1/3 cup chilled sparkling water

Squeeze juice from both lime halves into a tall (preferably frosty) glass, then add lime halves. Add mint and sugar and crush mint with back of a spoon until sugar is dissolved. Add rum and stir. Add ice, then top off drink with sparkling water and stir well. Ahhhhhh........

1 comment:

  1. psh, i take offense to that! I'm a giggly, tipsy, college GRAD.

    get your facts straight.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...