The Summer Is Winding Up.

August 17, 2008

In some ways, it feels like it just started. Everything has been a busy blur of houseguests, playdates, quick trips and pool parties. But when the kids start heading back to school, I can't help but be reminded that fall is just around the corner and the days are already showing signs of getting shorter.

The feeling of heading back to school is still so strong for me. Those butterflies in the tummy thinking about a new teacher and new classroom. Getting new school clothes and supplies and organizing everything (if you're me). But mostly I remember that slight melancholy feeling that summer is over for another year. The days at the beach and being with friends from morning to night being traded for the structure and responsibility (such as it was) that comes with school. I remember being about 13 and having those summertime crushes. Maybe on some boy my girlfriends and I only knew vaguely from the beach or somewhere else, something so innocent. Something that now seems so insignificant (why did it matter so much?). Back then though, one summer was a huge part of our up-to-that-point very short lives.

One song I've had on replay for the last couple of weeks really captures this feeling for me. I don't even know if you can relate to what I'm talking about (is it just me?), but listen and tell me if it doesn't remind you of your early teen years, maybe on that last weekend before school starts, late in the afternoon, walking the boardwalk one last time before a friend's older sister (or worse yet, mom) comes to pick you up. I like going back to that place.
Cause it's the last day of summer,
And it will hurt you more than most
Cause you're still trying to mine for memories in a ghost.
--Magnet, Last Day of Summer

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm lamenting the last days of summer, but for a different reason. My 7 yr old is going back to school and my 5-year old is starting kindergarten. Although I'm used to being without my 7 year old, it will be weird not having my daughter around. Thankfully, I'm sure the baby will keep me busy.

    Back to school is also a time for anticipation. I think fall is probably my favorite time of year. Just think of all the Halloween/Fall cocktails you'll be thinking of for cocktail Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw shucks, you're makin' me weepy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, because I could totally feel fall in the air when I was growing up. I understand the butterflies and the excitement of the upcoming year, but also the imminent sadness that came along with it. It's such a bi-polar type feeling.

    But I don't really feel it here- which I'm sure is related to the fact that it is still SO hot and feels like the middle of summer. But I know exactly what you are talking about. I'll surely be feeling it in October. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the days of such little responsibility. I can still recall those butterflies as well. My theory is, every time a butterfly flutters in your belly it means you're about to make a transformation that will help you soar.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...