Molly, Kale and More Ways to Make Your Man Happy.

October 15, 2008


This is another midweek dinner idea that your husband will love you for. Or at least my husband loves me for. He actually pronounced it one of his favorite meals. Ever. That got my attention.

Now let's back up a bit with a confession. I was reminded to share this with you after reading my favorite blogger this morning. Hers is the first blog I ever read. Before I knew what any of this was about. I was a new mom. Home for the first time during the day since, oh, I don't know, skipping class in college? (Kidding...I didn't really do that, mom and dad.) Anyway, it felt like the first time. (Wait, did I just say that?) I couldn't let myself turn on the Today Show and Regis and Kelly because then I would be, you know, one of those women. No offense to those who watch that stuff. I do not judge. I just won't let myself turn it on because it would stay on all day and next thing you know I would be all, "Get your butt in the car, C-Man, mama needs to get home to her stories!!!!!!!"

Once again, I digress. Anyhow, Molly's beautifully-written, always inspiring, perfectly entertaining column is how I fell in love with blogs. Yesterday, she posted about a kale, egg and toast dish. It sounds...humble, I know....but I am positive it is an awesome recipe because: 1. It is from Zuni Cafe, 2. It involves the cavolo nero version of kale (perhaps one of my favorite foods around), and 3. I made an extremely similar dish the other night that, as I just said, B pronounced of his favorites.

With that intro, I can't imagine any of you won't head straight to the market today and buy the ingredients on this list (you probably have most of them). Now, go. Go get that cavolo nero. You won't be sorry. And you will have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. And your husband will probably give you a foot rub or something in that order.

Baked Eggs with Tomato Sauce, Kale and Gruyere
(adapted from Metropolitan Home)

1 large onion, chopped
3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, chopped, with juices
1 bunch cavolo nero, also called dinosaur kale and lacinato kale (do NOT substitute regular kale!)
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
6 (or so) eggs
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.

In a nonreactive skillet over medium-high heat, cook the onion in the olive oil, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and juice and cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes (sauce can be made ahead and set aside).

Wash thoroughly and remove stems from kale. In a heavy skillet over medium heat, warm olive oil. Add kale; saute until wilted, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide tomato sauce among two to three 8-inch gratin dishes or ovenproof bowls (or one larger gratin dish). Using the back of a large spoon, make indentations in the sauce in each dish (one for each egg). Crack an egg into each indentation and season with salt and pepper. Spoon about ¼ cup wilted kale around eggs in each dish. Bake for about 5 minutes, then sprinkle the cheese on top of the kale. Bake a few more minutes until egg whites are set but egg yolks are still (slightly) runny, about 10 minutes total.

Remove from oven and top each dish with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Serve with toasted bread. Oh yeah, and some good red wine. Need than too.

{Be sure to check Molly out here. She posts only on Tuesdays, but she now has a monthly column in Bon Appetit, and is coming out with a book!}

photo by
Met Home

9 comments:

  1. Since you and Molly like this so much, I guess I have to try it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Molly's blog and thought it looked tempting, but if both of you are raving about it then I think I have to try it as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok that's hilarious about "mama's stories"...completely agree! Not judging either, but that will never happen around here :)...well, we don't even have TV anymore (only for dvd's) so it couldn't, but anyway, I had a good laugh over that part! We LOVE kale - had some last night and will tonight again - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kay, 1) i love molly (OBVIOUSLY) and use her blog as a cookbook. 2) I love cavolo nero more than most things in life. 3) going to the farmer's market right now.

    i think i will make this tomorrow for dinner with a girlfriend at my house. I'm supposed to be doing wedding stuff but instead i'm cooking and playing stay-at-home. it's total awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delish. I must try. My Nana would be appalled but I have not ever had cavolo nero let alone cooked it. I love a new adventure. And if it's green I'm sure to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks amazing... if only my husband liked kale!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Mangerchines: Try cavolo nero if you haven't before. It's totally different from regular kale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. kay, made it tonight with slight modifications based on what was in the fridge (of course including the cavolo nero though) and it was delicious.... except that we drank too much wine and cooked it a teensy bit too long. but still, was delicious and hearty and thoroughly good for you. thx.

    ReplyDelete
  9. making this again tonight! yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...