Have You Ever Been to a Waldorf Party?

February 10, 2009

I've waxed poetic about Waldorf Education and its approach to raising kids before. And I definitely don't want to do too much of that around here...I understand it's not for everyone. But have you ever been to a Waldorf kids' party before? So refreshingly sweet and homespun, I just have to share.

About a month ago, C-Man (and Baby J too!) was invited by a classmate to attend his party at a local park. There was a "fairy" theme, so one of the crafts was decorating a wooden framed painting of a fairy. See?
The parents brought little wooden tables and chairs and table cloths from home for the children to sit at. Snacks were a big bowl of tangerines (in a beautiful wooden bowl) and popcorn with agave nectar and fairy dust.
Lunch for the kids included cheese sandwiches (in those oh-so-smart unbleached waxed paper bags which I have been trying to use at home instead of ziplocs) and nori strips. Look: C-Man gobbled his up. I need to get some for home.
They set up a very tasty sandwich bar for the grown-ups with lots of homemade salads, including one zucchini salad I became obsessed with for a couple of weeks (see below).
The best part, however, was when a Leprechaun announced his presence in a nearby tree and all the children ran over. He dropped little handmade (of course!) cloth bags and then it started snowing "golden coins" (really just pennies, but don't tell C-Man).... which the kids just flipped for. Who needs a pinata which always leads to at least one kid getting smacked and a bunch of kids strung out on Now-n-Laters? (Kidding...C-Man loves those parties too.)
(One of the older girls even shared some of her golden coins with C-Man, isn't that sweet?)

Of course there were homemade cupcakes. (There's the zucchini salad I was talking about, down in the corner of the photo.)
Lastly, I can't resist sharing this photo. C-Man was taking such good care of his baby sister during the whole party, can't you tell?
Here's the recipe for the zucchini salad. I guess it's an adaptation of a Mollie Katzen recipe which is made with green beans, bell peppers, toasted sliced almonds and swiss cheese. I will have to try that version too.

Waldorf Party Zucchini Salad

2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 t. dijon mustard
3-4 T. lemon juice
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. chopped fresh tarragon
1 T. chopped fresh dill
1/2 t. salt
black pepper to taste1/4 c. olive oil
1/2 c. minced parsley
3 small zucchini, very thinly sliced in strips

Whisk the first 8 ingredients together. Gradually whisk in olive oil, then parsley. Toss with the sliced zucchini and marinate overnight. (This was especially good scooped up with slices of Bread and Cie Caramelized Onion bread.)

7 comments:

  1. That's awesome, but oh so "stuff white people like" I can hardly get over it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely love the non-commercial, homespun nature of this party. But what makes it Waldorf and not just natural and hand made? Is it just that everyone attending is from a Waldorf school, so the philosophy just emerges organically?

    ReplyDelete
  3. AliceQ: Yes! And you know you love it!!

    Yolanda: There really isn't anything "waldorf" about this party, you're right. :) Anyone could (and should!) do it. It's just that it was for his class and I've never been to another children's party like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little details. Since we have two birthdays coming up over here I may have to work some of these things in. I have been brewing on cloth gift bags. It's just that I don't have any confidence in using the sewing machine. All the more reason to whip it out, huh?!

    Oh, and that salad...Sounds so refreshing. Anna's a huge zucchini lover so this will surely be a hit here. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy reading your blog, but it doesn't seem like you've given yourself the break you mentioned previously. :)

    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm so glad your back! the party looks spendid...

    p.s. millie has that exact same shirt baby j is wearing ;-)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this.. so heart-warming. Reminds me of parties in the park when I was a kid. Made me think of a beloved photo I have from the late-70s: someone's (mine?) birthday in Presidio Park... me in purple cords, crepe paper ribbons tied in my hair... running with the streamers trailing behind... thanks for sharing such sweet photos!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...