Need Your Travel Tips.

April 22, 2009

There's something about getting pregnant that puts me in full vacation planning mode. It's sort of a time-is-running-out feeling, but in a good way. We have a few trips up our sleeves that I'm getting excited about (more on that later), not least of which is a get-away for just B and me. Yes. You read that correctly. We are going away. Without the kids.

There were lots of choices to consider, even though we are just going to be gone for a few nights. There could be a luxurious, do nothing, beach vacation. There could be a long-awaited trip to Portland which keeps getting pushed back. We love Austin, so there's always that. But we kept coming back to New Orleans. We both adore the place, but have never been together....how crazy is that?? Plus, it's just not a family vacation kind of place (at least for the things we want to do).

And so. I've been planning our trip. We want to stay in the French Quarter (cliché, but easy and close to things) and we want a boutique-y place that would never take us if we walked in with two whiny kids. (Make that three.) Anyway, this is where you come in. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Maison de Ville or The Soniat House? These have both come highly recommended. Anywhere else you like?

Now, bring mama some beignets.

photo of the soniat house entrance via flickr

16 comments:

  1. Sorry. But the last time we were there our handsome cab driver told us about a charming bed and breakfast just down from Brad and Angelina's place...that is word for word how she described it. Like they are buddies (I love it!). Anyway, I actually trust this gal so you could probably make a few calls and figure out what it is. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, never been... but the photo looks absolutely dreamy. Like the making of a great "babymoon." Now I want a vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm afraid i've never been there either. i'm in the midst of planning our european travels for this summer and in a bit of a quandry myself. i could help you with the latin quartier... but that's about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been hearing good things about Soniat House for ages. And really - how can you go wrong?? :-) Sounds like a dreamy babymoon go me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TO me- damn the self correcting iPhone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have stayed at the maison de ville....private little bungalows with a private pool. Divine. I highly recommend it. Email me at halmere - at - knology.net if you need more informatio or have questions. Have been to NOLA numerous times...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We honeymooned in N'awlins almost 11 years ago. But we just stayed at a quaint apartment/ condo. I'll try to find the name of it, but I'll bet your instincts are right on with the links you provided.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote for Soniat! It's beautiful. And eat at Clancy's while you're there... the food is absolutely amazing, and it's off the beaten path. I grew up in New Orleans and miss it so much. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never been but both of the linked choices look amazing! Be sure to do a post trip post~ we might just have to plan a trip to The Big Easy ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to law school down in NOLA and while I've never stayed at either spot, when I have a few more minutes I'll type up some must eats/sees . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. jora - i just moved back home to nola. email me (skyetruax@aol.com)and i will give you the good stuff. the international house hotel and lofts 523 are both good choices but not right in the quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. okay, I'm jealous and I want to come with! (it's where we honeymooned-thus a lot of paintings of the place!) Enjoy the peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here are a few recommendations, but you really can't go wrong in New Orleans:

    Surrey's Cafe - best breakfast (and juice) in town. so delicious. 1418 Magazine Street

    Dick and Jenny's - one of my friends from law school took this place over post-Katrina. It is an amazing spot for dinner. 4501 Tchoupitoulas Street

    Jacques-Imo's - A perfectly unique dinner spot. 8324 Oak Street

    Cafe du Monde - for bengeits of course (French Quarter)

    The quarter has great art galleries and I loved the shopping on Magazine St. both in the Garden District and Uptown.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been there twice and both for work related things, so I stayed no where fab. But for great shopping MAGAZINE STREET for sure. Funny I went there prego too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Travelocity provides great and useful Hotel related information... They also provides great vacation packages...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...