Tortilla Soup, Bastardized.

April 9, 2009

First off, thank you soooooooo much for all the well wishes regarding the baby. We are excited.

Second, I have a tortilla soup recipe to share with you that is slightly bastardized. Twice over, really. I know there is some authentic recipe (probably recipes) out there for tortilla soup which involve roasted chiles and other delicious ingredients. (Such as this one, which I've been meaning to try for years now.) This recipe has none of that, which makes it great for a weeknight and I believe it still tastes fantastic. It is also bastardized in that it is based on my friend Sarah's recipe/method, but she and I could never connect the day I was making the soup to exchange official directions. So I was on my own. And it was a big, big hit in the fam, so I decided I had to post.

The beauty of this soup is that it has all the comfort of a soup, but with some substance (which comes in the form of all the yummy add-ins). Also, it is so quick and easy to put together.

Tortilla Soup
olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1-2 zucchini, halved and sliced
1 bell pepper, chopped
2-3 tomatoes, chopped
1 t. cumin
1-2 T. chile powder
6 c. (or so) chicken stock (preferably homemade)

Add-ins:
tortilla chips
chopped avocado
limes
chopped cilantro
grated cheddar cheese
sliced radishes
sour cream
chopped jalapenos

In a soup pot, sauté onion, zucchini and pepper in olive oil over medium heat until soft. Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes start to break down. Add cumin and chile powder and cook until fragrant (a minute or so). Add stock and simmer for 15 or 20 minutes so the flavors can meld (just enough time, conviently to get all the add-ins in order).

Ladle the soup into bowls and top with any and all of the add-ins. Be sure to squeeze in lots of lime!

photo courtesy myrecipes

9 comments:

  1. Yum, thanks for posting. Try adding some feta in lieu of cheddar and it is deeeelish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmh...this is an interesting recipe! I've never thought of putting some of these ingredients together. I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other tortilla soup recipe was the first one I tried after I bought the Gourmet cookbook. You have to try it! It was fantastic and really quite easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must definitely show my husband this one. Thanks!

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...thanks for the recipe. My family loves soup! I'm going to bastardize it just a little bit more and make it vegetarian, okay. Maybe I'll even go whole hog and make it vegan! {gasp!}

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great, I'm adding it to my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm...now I'm craving this. It sounds so good! And of course it's all about the add-ins.

    And a huge congrats on the bun in the oven! Of course I mean the braided finnish bread...although the new baby is pretty excited too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's one great looking soup... I love the zucchini addition. And the add-ins... always a big fan of the add-ins for tortilla soup.

    Cilantro me up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...