Ten Things I'm Loving Right Now.

February 7, 2010

1. A New Necklace. My mom gave me this sweet little necklace and I just adore it. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me that there are three little charms on it.

2. DIY Home Fragrance Ideas. I've never been much of a scented candle person, but I must admit there is something so comforting about a well-scented home. Can't bake apple pie everyday though! Thanks to Sarah's nifty ideas, my house smells so warm and yummy now. (If I do say so myself.)

3. Making Granola With the Kids. I am convinced that granola is the easiest, most satisfying thing to make with kids. They love to eat it (for breakfast, snack, or, ahem, dinner in a pinch) it's easy-peasy to make, the house smells wonderful, and most recipes are healthier than the kinds you buy at the store. Today, we made this recipe.

4. Leggings and Big Sweaters. I admit it. I completely overdid this look the first time it came around (I was in high school). And I am probably on the verge of doing it again. But it's the perfect slightly-pulled-together-mom-look that I rock many mornings taking C-Man to school, running errands with my girls, or even out on a casual date with B. I pretty much only do the black legging thing and I've got a bunch of sweaters that work, my current favorite being a charcoal gray open wrap cardigan by Joie that is rather slimming. Just the type of uniform I need when I am in a rush and without a chance to fuss over myself -- which is pretty much all the time these days.

5. Hand-Stitching Felt. When your 4 year old son regularly begs you to "Please, please, please mama, sew something with me!" and he knows more about all things stitchery than you do (he sews at school), it's time to do something about that. I've been stitching some felt projects in JuJu's class and learning a lot from her teacher, and I bought this book. So I can spend some quality time with my son sewing, you know??

6. Lunch With My Girls. I have been going to lunch with my wee girly ones lately and it is so nice. JuJu has such nice table manners and is quite the conversationalist when we are out (even if it is just In-N-Out Burger). I can't wait until they are older and we can just chat about girl stuff. I didn't do enough of that sort of thing with my mom and I am determined to do it with my daughters.

7. A Mother's Helper. Just before Little E was born, B arranged for a very sweet, very eager, very mature 11 year old in our neighborhood to come help me a couple of afternoons a week. I wasn't sure how it was going to work out at first. (Frankly, I was overwhelmed with the idea of 3 children....would this be adding one more to the gang?) But. Let. Me. Tell. You. She has been a lifesaver. She plays with the kids while I'm getting dinner ready or nursing the baby or one of the many other things I do. Best of all, C-Man and JuJu are so happy to see her. She always brings new books to read to them and will crawl around on the floor playing monster way longer than I care to.

8. Homemade Bread. Thanks to encouragement by my friend Sarah, we are making homemade bread several days a week now and it has changed our lives. This deserves it's own post come to think of it, so I'll just stop there.

9. Her Sweet Little Rosebud Mouth. 10. Also, Rubber Band Wrists. Need I say more?

20 comments:

  1. 2 things. 1. can you give me your scent recipe? i love the idea 2. really, homemade bread? like we were not all feeling inferior enough already - fed my family TJ's hummus and chips for dinner last night :-) ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a good list post :)

    What shoes do you pair with your legging outfits, Jora? I feel like I can never quite get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista: check out the linnk for ideas for different scents. We've been doing the apple, cinnamon, vanilla bean combo. Also, the bread recipe is a cinch, truly! No kneading and it rises in the fridge. I'll have to do a post. Also, I feed my family cold cereal for dinner all the time, don't feel too bad! :-)

    Katie: I always seem to wear ballet flats with everything these days. My days of wearing heels are over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you making the no knead bread from How to Cook Everything? It's not the end-all be-all best bread recipe, but it's so simple that I find I can squeeze a batch in now and then. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy: It's actually from a book by Zoe Francois and the method is a little different with better results (that's what I hear anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just smooching on our little one's rubber band wrists this morning, so yep--'nuff said.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do the same thing with scenting my home! I've never tried putting oils in though. And I'd love to learn how to make things with felt. Is it easy to work with if you have zero talent sewing?

    Can't wait to hear more about the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved babysitting at that age...I always brought a suitcase of toys, books, crafts, and a video to each home that we couldn't open til the parents had left...it was such a wonderful time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh rubber band wrists...love. Millie still has a smidge of them at 3. i'll be sad when they are totally gone.

    I'm loving taking Audrey to lunch of late. It feels very girly and chatty. a nice glimpse of things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i've written the 'bread changing your life' post for you already!:)http://thepattonhouse.blogspot.com/2009/05/therapy.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really loving your list. Seriously, great to see!

    Can you do a post on sweaters you wear with leggings? I'm pregnant with number three and loving leggings for pregnancy and I think next fall/winter after baby comes they will be awesome again. I just don't know what to pair with them when I'm not quite so round. And ballet flats too - any recs? I've been searching for ages.

    Love those sweet baby pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I second the request for a post on sweaters and leggings, shoes, etc--figuring out how to be a busy, comfortable mom and look put together has escaped me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Little E is just the sweetest little baby! It is so evident how much you love being a mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like things are good at your house. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a uniform. Mine is currently skinnies, t-shirt, cardigan, flats & necklaces. Fine, but everyday? I'm boring.

    I've finally crossed over into bread making territory and I love it! It's so easy, who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post. It's so nice to see what is making other people happy these days. Is the bread the bread in five-minutes a day? I make that a few times a week and it's fabulous. I now do it with 2/3 whole wheat flour and it works wonderfully.
    The necklace is gorgeous!
    How about books...have you or are you reading anything good these days (not that you probably have much time). I think we have similar tast so I would love to see what you recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jora, Alice Q passed along a great tip that someone she knows uses; if you have a bread machine, use that for making just the dough and finish it in a traditional bread pan or sheet pan. I like this way MUCH better than letting the bread machine do all of the thinking for me. Way better results too. Used to do it all with the mixer but it's a lot more messy that way. Tassajara bread book is great and I've found some winner recipes online. Would love to hear your faves. As for the leggings, you have lovely legs so go for it! I would die from embarrassment it I wore leggings on my toothpicks and door knocker knees! (the closest I get is yoga pants ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jor/Mel - that's Wendi's tip - she bakes bread often. I don't even have a breadmaker so I haven't tried it myself, but she swears by it. Your Zoe bread is delicious too though, and even easier - Mel you would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Check out this recipe, made it tonight and was great!
    Subbed ground flax instead of whole seed and added 1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten to my reg flour. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Flax-and-Sunflower-Seed-Bread/Detail.aspx
    YUMMY! Will have to get your recipe too, sounds mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  19. jora, have you tried jeggings? jean leggings? I'm kinda dying to.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh, off to check of the home fragrance link now. After I have signed up as a follower of your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...