A click away

August 17, 2010

Buon giorno! I am 180|360 and I blog here.

One of my very favorite things about blogging is that chance connection you might make with someone.

I "met" Jora in a comment section over 3 years ago. (Doesn't that sound funny?) And through this lovely blog, I've been introduced to so many wonderful and inspiring people!

There is no lack of amazing food to eat or places to go. Daily, I force myself to not buy each beautiful, new discovery or completely redecorate my house! Some amaze me with their incredible creativity. Others motivate me to be a better gardener or they graciously share their homeschooling knowledge with me.

But in true full circle fashion, I believe it was Alice that first wrote about the delectable Pizzeria Mozza, which I promptly placed on my mental list of "Things to do in Los Angeles." By March, we were finally able to go, and there I had one of the best pizzas (outside of Italy) that I'd ever tasted. Just after we returned from LA, I discovered Blake (here) and her pizza dough recipe! In no time, I was back to making homemade pizza -- something I had done with much passion a few years ago but had sadly abandoned.

In honor of these lovely ladies and everyone that inspires me, I would like to share with you my version of the pizza I ate at Mozza.


Fennel and Sausage Pizza

1 pizza dough
1/2 lb of Italian sausage (casings removed)
1 bulb of chopped fennel (reserving some of the fronds)
4 oz. of creme fraiche
1/2 - 2/3 cup of grated mozzarella
3 TBL of thinly sliced red onion
2 scallion greens, thinly sliced
Curry powder
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven (and baking stone, if using) as high as it will go (mine is 550º F).
In a medium pan, sautée the chopped fennel in a couple of teaspoons of olive oil until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add the sausage, season with salt and plenty of pepper, then cook until sausage is lightly browned, about 4-5 mins. Roll out pizza dough (as thin as possible) on a lightly floured surface. Place onto hot pizza stone or other pan. Cover the dough with a layer of crème frâiche. Using a slotted spoon, try to remove as much oil from the sausage and fennel mixture as possible, then place on top of the creme fraiche. Top with mozzarella, 1/2 the red onion and 1/2 the scallions. Bake on lowest rack in oven until crust is golden brown. Timing will vary depending upon how big or thick the pizza is, as well as what temperature you are using. Before serving, top with remaining onions, a few fennel fronds and sprinkle curry powder lightly over the entire pizza.

Buon Appetito!

7 comments:

  1. Aw, Kim :) thanks, lady... the interwebs are a strange and beautiful place. As you may know, Jora and I were in the same English classes in high school... and then I saw a comment by her on Apt Therapy one day... couple of clicks and here we are. So fun to have found you, too. Can't wait to check out your other links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and yum, delicious pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to try this! It sounds just like what we had there - right down to the slivered scallions and curry. I need to try Blake's pizza dough recipe too - homemade dough is something I haven't gotten around to trying yet!

    How funny that we both posted Mozza stuff on the same day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,

    It is so true- how inspiration strikes and creates a circle of friendships. Such as the fact that I found you through Jora and found her through Rainy Day Templates, and have since "met" others through both of you!

    And I agree entirely about holding back the urge to let the 'inspiration' become a black hole in my bank account:). What an urge to resist the endless loveliness that I come across- DAILY.

    My husband and I are also big fans of Pizzeria Mozza, and have recreated some favorite pizzas as well. This one looks amazing and it is now on my large 'recipes-to-try' list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you do know how much i love the beauty of your eye, the beauty of your palatte as well as you, the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your photos are stunning. they make me want to make this pizza for breakfast. then again for lunch and dinner. thanks for sharing.

    it's amazing the "connections" that are made via the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much. I was just sitting here complaining about making my shopping list for the week. Now I will press forward and look ahead to eating this loveliness.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...