You don't have to go to Italy for an Italian experience.

August 9, 2010





I'm Bridget from Tales of Me and the Husband. Upon rereading my blog post title, I chuckle a bit as, for a totally legit Italian experience, naturally Italy is where it's at. However, just 30 quick minutes from my front door, the North End of Boston has some delicious Italian fare: limoncello, antipasta, pastries, and pizza. I'm not making any guarantees here, but if a $1000+ plane ticket is not delighting your pocketbook at the moment (but why wouldn't it really? Money does grow on trees! Especially in this economy!) than perhaps Boston's North End will be your little Italy. And while we don't have the Medicis and the Michelangelos (who needs them, anyway!?), we do have Paul Revere and his midnight ride... oh my!

(But really, North End doesn't stack up to Italy if Italy is what you're really hoping for... so disregard everything I said and go join Jora on her holiday in heaven.)

Crazy fact having nothing to do with Italy and everything to do with the North End: Some North Enders claim that on a very hot day they can smell molasses because in January 1919 a molasses tank burst containing nearly 2,300,000 gallons of molasses. Waves of molasses, between 8 and 15 feet tall, went spilling through the streets, cracks, and crevices of the North End.

Now has THAT happened in Italy?

4 comments:

  1. I love the molasses story! That's crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!! I am Italian and love all things 'Italy' but Boston is also so remarkable, everything you said is so true. I have spent a lot of time there with family and friends and it is truly one of my favorite places and we travel around the world...so one is not better than the other, just different and delightful. You are making me want to be at Mikes bakery now eating a canolli :) Your post was a lot of fun to read
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making me want cannoli...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bunny, i am glad you like boston even though you are a bona fide italian! that bodes well for us!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...