some good eats.

October 12, 2011

Here are a few things I've been making that have been tasting just right.  No pictures this time, so you'll just have to take my word for it!

These peanut butter cookies.  My friend Melissa first made these about a month ago and we shared them out of a ziploc baggie one night during a parent meeting at school.  They were sooo good that I texted her for the recipe that night.  I have made them twice already.  They are really peanut-buttery and nice and chewy (I'm not crazy about the thinner, crispier ones).  Try them and tell me what you think!

Kale Bruschetta.  This is what you need to do.  (Need.  And soon.)  Stem and coarsely chop a bunch of Lacinato kale.  Boil in salted water till tender (7 minutes or so?)  Drain and squeeze out water.  Grill some slices of caramelized onion bread from Bread and Cie (if you're local....otherwise just use a nice European-style country loaf).  Rub with garlic and drizzle with olive oil.  Spread bruschetta with some good ricotta (I was lucky enough to get some Gioia from the farmer's market recently.)  Top with kale, sprinkle with crunchy sea salt (I like Maldon) and drizzle generously with olive oil.  You can sprinkle some chile flakes too if you want some heat.  I always do.  This dish is insane.  I ate it for dinner twice this week (with a fat glass of red wine, which I also highly recommend).

Bastardized Zuni Chicken.  I love Zuni Chicken (who doesn't? I mean, besides vegetarians?), but on a weeknight I really can't be bothered with all the steps and fussiness.  Here's what I do and I think it's pretty darn near perfect.  Get yourself a nice organic chicken (3-4 pounds or so) from Trader Joe's.  Rinse and dry it very well.  Sprinkle generously with kosher salt.  Place on a plate and put in in the fridge uncovered.  Leave it there at least 6 hours (I like to do it in the morning before I plan to serve it).  About an hour before you want to serve it, roast the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan for 45 minutes at 450 degrees (or until done).  Meanwhile, take about a half cup of currants and soak in boiling water for a few minutes to plump them up.  Drain and then cover the currants with red wine vinegar.  Then, take a loaf of the same caramelized onion bread mentioned above and cut most of the crusts off.  Tear the bread into bite size (or a bit bigger) pieces and place on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil.  After the chicken comes out and is resting, put the bread under the broiler for a few minutes until some pieces are browning nicely.  Drain the currants and use the vinegar (add more if you need to in order to make 1/2 cup.  Add about 1/2 cup olive oil to the vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.  Toss the hot croutons with the currants, vinaigrette and a bunch of spicy greens (I love arugula and other strong flavored greens).  The greens will wilt slightly.  Serve the bread salad with the roast chicken.  DIVINE.

There you go!  Some fall-ish food for y'all.  :-)

12 comments:

  1. Yes! Some new recipes to try thus week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the Zuni chicken with bread salad....it's a staple in our household. we've loved it so much for the past few years....looking forward to trying the recipe for pb cookies! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made your bastardized zuni chicken this week and it was fab. i hybrided it with the donna hay method i told you about. fantastic.

    i'm making the cookies as soon as the heat dies down. the bruschetta sound fabulous. i love bread and cie's onion loaf. i've been hitting up con pane the past couple of weeks for my loaves. heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my lordy. I want to leave work right now, and go get EVERYTHING in order to make ALL OF IT. You really know how to eat well, don't you?? Yum, and thanks for sharing.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kale bruschetta?! Oh my. I am all over that, lady! Thank you!
    xo-k

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some good tips. Must try the kale bruschetta.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! The peanut butter cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any version of the Zuni chicken is perfection. What an inspiring dish. YUMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that chicken sounds so good. if you say its good i pretty much trust you. jora aint no idiot in the kitchen.
    also, i wish 1 chicken fed my family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you do nothing else but post recipes like this on your blog, I think we'd all be really happy! The kale bruschetta was delicious; can't wait to try the others! Thank you for sharing Jora :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, wow, wooooooow. Will try that chicken soon... very soon (and report back of course :)).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tried the Zuni chicken last night, it was a huge hit for all three generations, thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...